I love Nikon. My first camera was a film Nikon, and I had all Nikkor Lenses (Which are Nikon Lenses). I started the brand, and will never go back. I feel like once you find what you like, thats it. Sure there will be other cameras that are prettier and shinier, however this is what I know and like. Therefore, it is where I will stay. Here I will be listing my top ten favorite Nikon Lenses!
From Favorite to Least Favorite.
Just kidding – I love them all, so there is no order here!
- At the top of my list, the 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens. It is my favorite lens. It makes me very happy and I love the compression. It really works well with my style and my images are always very sharp! I use this lens for weddings and portraits.
- Up next is the 24-70 f2.8 E ED. I love this lens so much. It’s great for newborns, families, and even weddings. It’s nice having the range and the zoom is very convenient.
- The 50mm f1.8 G and 50mm f1.4 G has always be a love of mine. I have both versions, however I highly recommend getting the 1.8 because they do the same thing. The only difference is that the 1.4 is better in low light, because you can go as low as 1.4. My happy place is around an aperture of 2.2. I use this lens for both weddings and portraits.
- If you are shooting details, you need a macro lens! I have the 105mm Macro f2.8 G IF-ED! It has amazing low light capabilities and the detail is unparalleled to any other lens I’ve used. Surprisingly, even though it is a macro, it is also a superb portrait lens! I use this for weddings, portraits, details and product shots.
- Ahh the 85mm f1.8 D series lens. If you don’t know about the D series, you really need to check it out. It’s the older Nikkor lens, that can be used on a film camera. It’s super sharp and one of my absolute favorites!
- Piggy backing on the D series, I want to share my love for another one of my favorites, the 35mm f2D lens! This lens is my go to for wedding day. I found myself using this for details over my 50mm because it gives me a little bit more space, without losing that sharpness I crave! I use this for weddings and portraits. Its perfect for those big family group shots and does not distort the edges of the image!
- Another D series that I love is my 24mm f2D. This is a really great lens for those wide dance floor shots. You do have to really be IN the action, which I think makes it a lot of fun. The edges do have some distorting so I wouldn’t use this for a family portrait, but dance floor – totally!
- The 16-35mm f4 ED is so much fun. It’s not a lens I would use ALL the time though, because I consider it a specialty lens. It definitely has it’s place. I particularly love this lens for weddings, when I want a very wide portrait of the couple kidding and there is beautiful architecture around them. There is definitely distorting, so I don’t photograph more than 2 people with this lens.
- The 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 G is a kit lens that is often overlooked because its labeled as a “kit lens”. A kit lens, is a lens that comes with an entry level/hobbyist camera. At one point, I owned an entry level camera and it came with this kit lens. I sold the camera, but I kept the lens. To this day, I use this lens in my Photo Booth. The aperture is not very low, so low light is difficult, but my Photo Booth is lit up with lighting, so it works! Also having a higher aperture helps with keeping everyone in focus.
- The 58mmf1.4 G is like butttahhh. Seriously, this lens is so nice. I rented it when my house burnt down and had to replace all of my equipment for a boudoir marathon. This lens was SO NICE. It’s on my radar for my next purchases. It really is nicer than the 50mm in my opinion, but it’s silly to stick both in your bag. Once I get this lens, I will be retiring my other two, but not selling. I never sell my lenses!
I hope you enjoyed this week’s Top Ten Tuesday – ‘Favorite Nikon Lenses’. Subscribe to our mailing list and be sure to come back every Tuesday for more amazing Top Ten’s!
*Some of the links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.